Monday, April 7, 2008

Significant Dates

For those of you who know me well, you know that I remember dates - birthdays, anniversaries, significant dates in my life or those in people I know. I even remember special dates for people that I barely know. And much to my husband's dismay, I remember every significant happening in our life from our first date until now. Yesterday was one of those days.

Josh and I started dating in Februrary 2006 after a long friendship. Because we knew each other so well, we weren't dating just for the fun of it, but to determine if we should marry. By the second date, I knew that Josh was the man I wanted to marry and it wasn't too long before I had fallen in love with him. However, I couldn't tell say, "I love you," until he told me first. Oh, how hard it was because I wanted to express my feelings, but I just had to wait on him! There were a couple of times that I thought he was going to say it, but nothing.

The first week of April was spring break at Southern Seminary (where we both attended) and we decided to come to South Carolina to visit Josh's family. I had met his parents once before at a wedding, but this time I would meet them as Josh's girlfriend. We drove down on a Wednesday evening, and on Thursday, Josh decided to give me a tour of his favorite places in SC (I'm from Georgia). We went to his college and then he took me to see the only covered bridge still standing in the state. Then we went to a place he liked to go in college, Poinsett Bridge. It has been there since the 1800's and the road after the bridge would take you from Greenville to Asheville. We looked around and went to sit down by the creek that the bridge was over. As we were sitting there, Josh finally said the words I had been longing to hear, "Dianna, I love you!" I was so surprised and so happy - even now I'm smiling as I remember that sweet moment. Josh really wanted the moment to be special and he achieved it.
_
Josh made April 6 special and I'll never forget it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very beautiful bridge--very special place. Many memories have been made there for many. Glad you got to see it too.

Jason Vaughn said...

ah I remember when you guys were down. I was still at NGU and you bums didn't stop by to visit.