Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Decade of Change

It is amazing to me that the year 2000 was 10 years ago! Josh and I were discussing this phenomena the other day and he said, "You know, this past decade is the first that we have remembered completely." We are both children of the 80's, and our memories of the 80's are almost non-existent, while our memories of the 90's really don't begin until the late 90's (hope I'm not making some of you feel old!). I thought it would be fun to write down all the important things that happened in my life the past 10 years. So here goes...
  • Graduated High School (2001).


  • Spent a summer in San Antonio, TX, ministering and loving on sweet children (2002).

  • Graduated College (2004 - yes, I graduated a year early because I was able to take college credit my senior year of high school - my parents were thankful!).


  • Moved alone to Louisville, KY to attend seminary (2004).
  • Went on my first (and only, thus far) international mission trip (2005).
  • Moved to Indiana when Josh and I became engaged (2006).

  • Married Josh (2006).


  • Moved to South Carolina (2007).

  • Sadly, my great-grandfather, grandmother, and great grandmother died within 3 months of each other in the summer of 2007.

  • Thomas was born (2007 - 6 weeks before our first anniversary - surprise!).


  • I lost my final grandparent, my sweet grandfather, one year and two days after my grandmother died (2008).

  • Josiah was born (2009).

As you can see, it has been a decade of much change! Through it all, God has been so good and gracious to me. I look back over the last decade and I'm amazed at the love of my Savior and how He has opened my eyes to understand more of Him and to love Him more. The above events don't tell of all the things the Lord did in my heart over the past decade because it would take the next year to write it all!


On January 13, 2000, I was 16 (almost 17) and a junior in high school. I was beginning to think about college, but really enjoying spending time with my friends while we finished high school! Now, on January 13, 2010, I am 26 (almost 27 - doesn't look nearly as nice as 17!) and enjoying spending my life with Josh while we raise our two beautiful children (and hoping for more). And to think, I didn't even know about the place I live now or Josh Culbertson!

6 comments:

Ben and Ashley said...

I think 27 is much better! I wouldn't want to be back there. And yes, you make me feel old. Because I actually remember the LATE 80's. I think because it's when my grandfather died... then so much happened.

Can't believe it's been 10 years since we were seniors! Makes me kind of sad. Life really is a vapor.

But I feel we have so much more now, don't you?

Stephen and Laura Timmons said...

I didn't realize yall were South Carolina!!! Where are yall?

Courtney said...

awe, love the family picture! love the reflections, here's to 10 more momentous, God-glorifying, grace-filled years :) glad we know you now!

Tonya said...

2000 was a hard year for us - we lost Elaine in June that year. We had also been trying for 2 years to have a baby and it would take 2 more years after that. And now - here we are with two beautiful, healthy boys and #3 on the way! God's blessings are amazing and His timing is perfect!

The Culbertsons said...

Ashley - I have spotty memories of the late 80's, but most of them aren't great (my parents divorced then), and of course I remember many things from the 90's, but this past decade is the one that is most vivid. And yes, we do have so much more now than 10 years ago - and I'm so glad to have you as my friend then and now!

Laura - We live in Laurens, SC - about 40 mins south of Greenville (small town). Where are you?!

Tonya - Josh and Vivian have told me how difficult 2000 was. Vivian lost both of her best friends - Elaine and her mom - just a few months apart. Praise God for how he has blessed you and Chad with 3 blessings! When do you find out baby's gender??

Tonya said...

We should find out in the next 5-6 weeks. I'm excited - and we finally have a name for either a boy or a girl!