Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cloth Diapers...Again

A couple of years ago, I decided to try cloth diapers.  They sounded like a great idea and so I took the plunge and bought 3 Bumgenius diapers and 6 pre-folds, 2 covers, and a snappi.  If you know anything about cloth diapers, then you know that is not nearly enough to last for more than a day.  I used the Bumgenius at night and a pre-fold during the day along with disposable diapers.  To order a complete supply of Bumgenius pocket diapers would have cost a little over $200 and I just wasn't willing to invest that much money.  When I became pregnant with Josiah in the fall of '08, my nose was so sensitive and my stomach so queasy, that I dropped cloth diapering all together. 

I have thought about going back to cloth, but dismissed it because I just didn't want to spent so much money, and I can get disposables pretty cheap with sales and coupons.  Recently, some blogs I normally read have talked about cloth diapering all around the same time.  One of my friends, Meggan, even did some follow up posts after I asked her some questions about cloth diapering.  Two coupon sites I visit, Southern Savers & Money Saving Mom, both had posts about the difference between cloth and disposables and a parenting site I visit had a guest post about cloth diapers as well.  It was actually through reading the comments on the parenting site, that I decided to take the plunge into cloth again! 

One of the comments gave a link to Kawaii Baby diapers.  I went to the website and discovered they had pocket, cloth diapers for $6.99 each!  Bumgenius diapers are $17.99 - what a huge difference!  After talking (and beginning an email chat) with the lady who left the comment on the parenting site, I decided to buy 10 cloth diapers and it was only $67 (shipping was free).  And you know what?  I love them!  The 3 Bumgenius diapers are velcro, but I chose to go with snaps this time and I'm really glad.  They are super easy to use and I have even taken them to church.  Josiah is now exclusively cloth diapered and we are saving more money! 

I do plan to buy 10 more, because that would give me 23 pocket diapers and I need them.  Josiah usually goes through 6 diapers a day right now and that means washing diapers every other day.  I would like to have enough diapers to wash every three days.  Many people have also told me that cloth diapering promotes earlier potty training; I sure hope that is the case!

1 comment:

Meggan said...

Yay! I'm glad that you've gotten some encouragement to try cloth again. Besides saving tons of money and reducing waste, I love that I don't ever have to run out at the last minute to buy more disposables (i.e. no panicking)!!! Less stress makes a happier Mommy. :-) I'm going to check out that Kawai site. Thanks for the post!