Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Consignment Sale

About six months ago I was talking with my friend/mentor/big sister about buying clothes for Thomas. She asked me if I went to any consignment sales. I told her that I had been to a consignment shop in my town, but she said consignment sales were different - cheaper than the shops, usually very big, and only twice a year. She suggested I look on the Internet to find some sales in my area. Thankfully, I looked just in time and found one nearby. In March, I volunteered and then shopped at My Child's Closet. It was a great experience, but I also wanted to find another one for better variety.

Last week, a friend and I went to Switch-A-Roos in Greenville. We worked a four hour shift on Tuesday (and got a sneak peek at some stuff) and then shopped early on Thursday. The sale I attended in March was much smaller than this one, so I was blown away by how much stuff they had! I was able to get three bigger toys for Thomas for about $20 total (two for Christmas and one for his birthday). The best deal was a very nice winter coat for $5! I also got him lots of long-sleeve onesies, sweaters, pants, and even a Halloween costume for $7 (he is going to be a pumpkin)! Unfortunately, I didn't get him any shoes, because most of the shoes were for little girls. Also, I need to trace his foot to make sure I get the right size.


If you have never shopped at a consignment sale, I would highly recommend it. There are usually two a year - one in the winter (Feb/Mar) to shop for spring/summer and one in the summer (Aug/Sept) to shop for fall/winter. You can volunteer to shop early and/or consign clothes. I'm not consigning anything yet, because I'm saving everything for another baby someday (assuming we have another boy).


The $5 coat
Doesn't he look warm?
I think this was $5.50
This was $10 and looks like a lot of fun!

No comments: