Monday, March 24, 2008

First Sickness

On Saturday morning, Thomas woke up not feeling too well. He had slept restlessly and seemed to be a little congested. We bundled him up and took him to the Easter egg hunt at church, but he didn't seem to care too much. He certainly wasn't our normal, happy baby. On Saturday evening, he seemed to feel really bad and after giving him some Motrin and a bottle, I put him to bed. He didn't sleep too well Saturday night, and when I got up at 5:30am yesterday morning, my sweet boy was really sick. He was wheezing and he had a barking cough. Poor Thomas was just miserable and poor mama was scared! I held him and rocked him for a few minutes and then decided to call his pediatrician.

A pediatric nurse called me back and as I was explaining Thomas' symptoms, she heard him breathe and cough and knew right away that he had croup. She told me it wasn't in his chest, but on his larynx. The congestion is just a side effect of croup. The best treatment is to go into the bathroom, turn the shower on hot, and sit in the bathroom for 20 minutes. Apparently, the humidity helps to clear him up. She also recommended that we use a humidifier in his room and to sleep in his room at night to listen to him breathe. We did all those things yesterday, and he is much better this morning.

Nothing has ever frightened me more than my baby being sick. Josh and I both were in tears yesterday morning as we called the doctor. At that moment, I just wanted to do whatever it took to get him well. Everyone told me before I had Thomas that I had no idea what a special love you could have for a child, and I understand now. It also gives me a glimpse of how much our Heavenly Father loves us and cares about us. If Josh and I, utterly sinful parents, are willing to do whatever it takes to make our child well, how much more will our perfect Father do for us. And He did... for that is what we celebrated yesterday.

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
Romans 5:10-11

No comments: