Saturday, July 5, 2008

Calvin, The Kitty

As many of my faithful blog readers (probably around 5 of you!) know we have a cat. Calvin was given to us right before Thanksgiving of 2006. He was 6 weeks old and just the cutest little fur ball (see picture here). A year and a half later, he has grown to be a rather large cat, and one of the sweetest cats we have ever met. He has NEVER scratched us intentionally, hissed at anyone, or bitten anyone. Calvin is very vocal about what he wants and lets us know when he has a need, such as wanting food or to go outside. Most of the time, Calvin sleeps in the house during the day and then goes outside all night. Usually, when I get up in the morning he comes to the window and lets me know he wants in to eat.

On Thursday morning, Calvin didn't come to the window. I called for him a couple of times, but he didn't come. I just assumed he was out having fun and he would come around when he got hungry. Thomas and I were leaving to run some errands around 8:30am and as I backed up in our driveway, I saw Calvin laying in the pine straw in front of the house. I called to him and he lifted his head for a moment and then put it back down. When I went to check on him, I noticed his face had abrasions and he wasn't moving too much. I brought him inside and showed him to Josh. We both assumed he had been in a fight and he would be better soon.

Josh called me about noon and said that he thought Calvin's leg was broken. He called the vet and we took him later that afternoon. We were so shocked to learn that he had been hit by a car and the abrasions on his face were road rash. Calvin's leg was broken so badly that putting a stint on it wouldn't be enough - he needed surgery or to amputate the leg! I was just trying to not get too emotional and so glad Josh was there. The vet told us she would keep him overnight and give him pain medication and fluids, and to make sure he didn't have any internal injuries.

Yesterday, the vet called back and told us that he was doing so much better! He was sitting up, eating, and using his litter box. We told her that we wanted him to have surgery (thanks to my dad's generosity!) instead of amputation. We have to take him to Upstate Veterinary Specialists in Greenville on Monday for his surgery. The only problem - we are going to Louisville tomorrow. Thankfully, Josh's mom and niece are going to take him for us. Calvin is doing well enough that we got to bring him home today. He is hobbling around, but so glad to be home.


mooreboysmama said...

Vivian told us about what happened to Calvin. I hope the surgery goes well. I love kitties, but Chad is allergic. Hope he's feeling much better! We wish you guys could've joined us on the 4th.

mooreboysmama said...

Apparently I should've re-read your original post before I commented! How did the surgery go?

The Culbertsons said...

The surgery went great. He has a metal plate and 8 screws in his leg now. Roger went and picked him up yesterday. Calvin has to take 3 medications daily and is in a splint for 8 to 12 weeks! Roger & Vivian have been so good to us in taking care of Calvin. I can't wait to get home & see him!